I am a huge fan of ground turkey as a lean protein source but was getting tired of Taco Tuesday and Turkey Burger so adapted a recipe from the Blog, foodlets.com - Turkey Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms. It is packed full of veggies, flavored with delicious Italian spices and best of all, topped with cheese...Oh not to mention, it is super easy to execute!
Plan and Prep: Shred zucchini and carrot or buy pre-shredded. Brown turkey earlier in the day or week with spice mixture, shredded zucchini and carrot, and store in the fridge. Here is how to prep the turkey mixture: Heat a large skillet, add veggies and turkey with red pepper flakes, parsley, basil, oregano, garlic and onion powder and cook until no longer pink. Add salt and pepper to taste. This mixture tastes great as the mushroom stuffing but you can also enjoy it as an Italian Meatloaf, over a bed of zucchini or regular pasta or in an Italian Quinoa bowl.
- Large portobello mushroom caps
- Minced garlic (about 1-2 teaspoons)
- 1 box of frozen spinach
- 1 tablespoon basalmic vinegar
- 1lb ground turkey breast
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parlsey
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- shredded zucchini and carrot (I used 1 medium zucchini and 1 large carrot.)
- 1 jar of your favorite marinara sauce
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 400 Degrees.
2. Heat a skillet on medium heat and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Add frozen spinach, garlic and 1/2 cup of water. Cover and cook until tender (about 5 minutes). You can do this in the microwave as well. Remove and add the vinegar to mixture.
3. While the spinach cooks prepare the the mushrooms. Clean with a damp paper towel and remove inside ribs. Brush with olive oil, salt and pepper. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper and cook mushrooms on it for about 18 minutes or until softened.
4. Once mushrooms are cooked it is time to assemble! Top each cap with spinach, turkey mixture, marinara sauce and 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheeese.
5. Bake for another 10 minutes or so until heated through and cheese is melted. Turn oven on to broil and bake for an additional minute until the cheese is browned. Serve topped with fresh basil and another sprinkle of red pepper flakes.