When planning my meal, I use the Precision Nutrition Anytime Meal template to build my plate. On the plate you want a protein, good fat, carb, and vegetable source. I decided to get a little more creative with my typical vegetable, which usually looks like steam broccoli with butter, roasted asparagus or a side salad, and came up with this Warm Zucchini Salad.
Meal Plan and Prep: Figure out what your dinners look like for the week and what type of vegetable will be on your plate. Grocery shop for the amount you need and as soon as you get home, pre-wash and chop anything that can be stored that way in the fridge. Then it is just a matter of assembling when you are ready to eat it.
- 2 Medium Zucchinis
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup of chopped onions (Any kind will do!)
- 1/4-1/2 cup of chopped bell peppers
- 1/2 cup of grapes tomatoes sliced in half
- 1/4 teaspoon of Garlic Pepper Blend or to taste
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of Kosher Salt or to taste
- 1/4 Teaspoon of Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 -1 cup of Marina Sauce
- chopped parsley or basil
- Feta or Parmesan Cheese
- Olive Oil
- Use a vegetable peeler to make zucchini ribbons. Start at the top of the zucchini and peel until you reach the center. Don't throw this out! Chop up the center and throw it in the mix as well. If you have a spiralizer, you can make "noodles" too. Set aside.
- Sauté onions and bell peppers in a little olive oil with some garlic pepper and salt.
- After they become translucent, throw in the zucchini ribbons and grape tomatoes, gently toss, and cook until they start to soften up a bit. This happens quickly!
- Finally, add marina sauce and red pepper flakes. Heat through.
- Serve it topped with fresh parsley or basil and a sprinkle of parmesan or feta cheese..
Have this as a side dish with some baked parmesan or pesto chicken or throw some ground beef or turkey and eat it as a "pasta". Enjoy!